Saturday, January 12, 2008

Verdi's Macbeth

This morning I saw my first opera ever. (On the big screen)

In case you haven't heard, the New York Metropolitan Opera- in a attempt to make it more accessible to people from different walks of life has starting a series of life broadcasts Operas that can be viewed for just over $20 in several movie theaters across the nation. In order to give even more people an opportunity to see these operas they have allowed several public schools to broadcast them for free, and the CNN broadcast they showed at intermission had some pretty decent (and also very funny) reviews given my some pre-teens that had just viewed Romeo and Juliet. I believe you can look at a schedule here.

When D first suggested the idea of seeing the opera on screen I was hesitant. I mean, it's like over three hours and in Italian and could have potentially been very boring. But I was pleasantly surprised. From the behind he scenes footage to the up close performances that could be seen by the camera- I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and although I am thinking seriously about purchasing a cheap seat to the L.A. Opera in the neat future, the fact that you don't need to dress up and that you can sneak your own snacks in and lean back in the chairs in the theater made this a really unitimdating first experience Opera that I will no doubt partake in again. Of the ones coming up I am especially interested in seeing Tristan and Iseoult and La Boheme. If anyone else is game let me know. The tickets actually sell out relatively early, and next time we will know to make it to the theater a tad bit earlier, but all in all I give if 5 stars.

No comments: