Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bridezillas no more

I just this article.

It made me think that it shouldn't take an economy crunch for people to be more frugal and less ridiculous when it comes to budgeting wedding expenses. I for one have always had a real issue with wedding costs and how much money people put into one day of their lives just to have what- good photos? I mean, I know that some girls dream of that fairytale wedding where everything is just perfect, and maybe I have just never dreamed of that. I don't see it being a sacrifice to spend 700 on a dress rather than 3,500. I think that there are much more creative ways to spend money, like having an amazing honeymoon or putting a down payment on a house- something that really will be central to your actual marriage.

I would go on, but I need to get going. All I have to say is that I want a Quaker wedding with minimum costs incurred. Maybe a few hundred to rent a location and a few for food, but mainly I will ask my guests to bring goodies to share with everyone else (potluck) style and maybe even ask them to bring fresh flowers from their gardens for decorations or my bouquet. One of the most quaint and charming weddings I have ever been to was like this, and I was so impressed with the simplicity and lack of frill- I'd love something like that.

Or to spend a bit more to have a destination wedding where maybe not that many people attend, but we get to visit a cool location and get married at the same time.

Sorry for going on. In general wedding talk makes me want to gag. It's just so much money and detailing and fretting and extravagance that really doesn't sit well with me at all. So many an economy crunch causing people to cut back is a great reality check for some people, maybe it will bring a level of practical economic thought into wedding planning that wasn't there before.

No comments: