Friday, March 14, 2008

Because they need more propaganda?

I was pretty shocked when I heard this story on NPR this morning about the anti-abortion activists/ pro-lifers who were involved in using the new Dr. Seuss movie to support their cause.

This is me is the best part of the article:
But Horton decides it's his calling to protect the life on the speck: "A person's a person no matter how small," he insists.
When Jim Carrey, the film's Horton, said those words during the Los Angeles premiere of the film last week, demonstrators who'd slipped into the theater started to yell. It was a surprise, to say the least, for the premiere audience.
I guess that my main thought on that is how rude it was to ruin a premier like that. I personally think that this is just another example of people taking something out of context and using it to support their argument. There are bible verses used for this very purpose and that are often taken very much out of their original context.
Besides the fact that the people in Who-ville were fully developed people, not just embryonic cells. But I shouldn't stoop to that level or argument, when I really think that this is whole thing is just very silly and that people can support their opinions on any way they choose, but it seems to bolster the viewpoint a tad bit more when they are actually things that are intelligently related.

No comments: